There are times when you mess things up in a huge way, everyone knows and you can talk about it. Then there are times where you do something well, but messed it up in a subtle way that no one ever recognized.
Today, I want to talk about Hungarfen.
Qualities of a Good Dungeon Boss
Courtesy of WoWPedia:
- Underbog Mushroom — Hungarfen summons Underbog Mushrooms at a random location that explode in a cloud of spores after 20 seconds.
- Foul Spores — When Hungarfen reaches 20% health remaining he releases foul spores, leeching 400 to 600 health from all players within 20 yards every second for 11 sec.
The Principle of Player Focus
- Discourage swarm stacking.
- Why? I wanted people to think independantly
- Why? Team work is important.
- Why? Someone who acts faster should be rewarded appropriate.
- The Underbog mushrooms prefer locations in front of your camera
- Players have a better chance of seeing mushrooms as they grow.
- The Underbog mushrooms dealt extra damage up front
- Stacked players will be severely punished if they are clumped up.
- The Underbog mushrooms leave an AoE cloud that reduces usable space over time
- Players who generally move as a group have more time to defeat the boss
- The Underbog mushrooms apply a stacking DoT
- Chain failures are punished more than sporadic ones
- Hungarfen does a short-range AoE lifesteal on everyone at low HP
- The entire party standing on top of the tank will extend the fight a lot.
- The tank and a single dps getting caught in the drain will be mild